UNICEF Recruitment For State Communication (Development Consultant)
UNICEF Recruitment For State Communication (Development Consultant). UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: State Communication for Development Consultant for Yellow Fever Preventive Mass Vaccination Campaign
Job Number: 516500
Locations: Northern States & Abuja
Work Type: Consultancy
Duration: 6 months, with possible extension based on good performance and funding availability.
Background/Purpose of Assignment
Yellow fever (YF) is a mosquito-borne, haemorrhagic, flavivirus infection endemic in tropical South America and sub-Saharan Africa. About 47 countries (34 in Africa and 13 in Central and South America) are endemic or partially endemic for YF. Currently the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates the burden of yellow fever in Africa at 84,000 to 170,000 severe cases and 29,000 to 60,000 deaths annually.
In Nigeria, although yellow fever vaccination was fully introduced into the country’s routine immunization schedule in 2004 as an under-utilized vaccine administered at 9 months of age, the coverage for YF has been at extremely low levels. The national routine immunization coverage (NICS) of 2006, 2010 and 2016 reveals a yellow fever routine immunization coverage of children aged 12 to 23 months just at 27.2%, 60.1% and 39% respectively. Such coverage levels resulted in ongoing accumulation of susceptible population a known trigger for outbreaks.
The country held a preventive YF mass vaccination campaign in 3 states in 2013 for people ages 9 months to less than 46 years. Since September 2017 Nigeria has reported several confirmed outbreaks of YF from 13 states (Kwara, Kogi, Kano, Zamfara, Kebbi, Nasarawa, Niger, Katsina Edo, Ekiti, Rivers states, Plateau and Abia) leading to preventive mass vaccination campaigns being held in Borno, Kogi, Kwara, and Zamfara states in January and February 2018 with a target age group of 9 months to 45 years.
The recent outbreaks in the country have informed the decision to reprioritize states for preventive campaigns based on current risk status of a national spread and an urgent need to contain the outbreaks in the current affected states. In order to control YF disease in the country, Nigeria has adopted the Eliminate Yellow Fever Epidemic (EYE) Strategy which entails a review of the YF risk assessment and prioritization, development of a multiyear 2017-2026 YF strategic plan, development of a plan for preventive mass vaccination campaign (PMVC) and implementation, increase in support for attainment targeted YF coverage in routine immunization, support to surveillance and laboratory capacity strengthening and development of urban YF outbreak readiness and response plan.
In line with the EYE strategy, Nigeria will be conducting a mass vaccination campaign in 5 states (Borno, Kebbi, Niger, Plateau, Sokoto) and the Federal Capital territory (FCT) in the fourth quarter of 2018. The goal of the campaign is to reduce yellow fever transmission in the states by achieving 80% coverage amongst people aged 9 months to 45 years. The specific objective of the campaign is to implement a high-quality vaccination campaign which takes lessons from previous – campaigns into consideration, achieve 80% yellow fever vaccination coverage in implementing states and Local Government Areas (LGAs), use opportunities provided by the Yellow Fever Preventive Mass Vaccination Campaign to strengthen the health system and immunization programme and strengthen the pharmaco-vigilance system for monitoring adverse events following immunization.
Part of the success of the campaign will depend mostly on the extent of social mobilization and demand generation conducted to achieve these objectives, hence the special focus on addressing negative behaviours using acceptable strategies familiar/linked to the community through healthy partnership with community based organizations and taking advantage of the polio structures from the surge capacity as community mobilizers, field volunteers, forum for traditional and religious leaders, etc.
UNICEF Nigeria is seeking the services of National Communication for Development (C4D) Consultants to provide technical support to government and partners in Borno, Kebbi, Niger, Plateau, Sokoto and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) in the area of planning, social mobilization, demand generation, capacity building, tracking of fund utilization, monitoring and evaluation and data management to ensure a high quality of yellow fever campaign with at least 80% of coverage based on post- campaign coverage survey.
- Canada Visa Lottery – Application Form
- FRSC Jamb Exam for 2018 Recruitment Guideline
Major Tasks to be Accomplished
The C4D Consultants, working with communication and social mobilization teams will undertake the following tasks:
- Produce and implement an evidence based area/audience specific communication/social mobilization/demand generation/community engagement plans (including micro plans) to ensure good and quality campaign.
- Using the standard planning templates, develop/implement monthly workplans from the overall communication/social mobilization/demand generation plan.
- Support coordination with state teams on the monitoring and evaluation of the yellow fever campaign activities, especially the advocacy and social mobilization component including ensuring intensified actions at state, LGA and community levels with a special emphasis on overcoming refusal of vaccination by building public trust in the safety and improving vaccine acceptance.
- Identify constraints, challenges and opportunities for program delivery with State Teams and State Communication and Social Mobilization Working Groups.
- Provide technical guidance in the design, preparation and use of targeted communication materials in appropriate languages for government frontline health workers/media networks, traditional and religious opinion leaders, village development/community groups and households.
- Strengthen mass media campaign and track media mention in the state.
- Support the assigned development of community communication packages for the campaign activities
- Mobilize support for the campaign and strengthen partnerships through advocacy and awareness building targeting a variety of groups to include state governments, media, traditional leaders, religious leaders, and community networks
- Facilitate capacity building and sensitization of various stakeholders and key partners including communication and social mobilization committees/working groups, health education officers, Ward Development Committees (WDCs), Village Development Committees (VDCs), Volunteer Community Mobilizers (VCMs) network, media, religious leaders/groups, traditional leaders/institutions, community influencers and caregivers, etc. on mobilization activities to improve knowledge and acceptance for positive behaviors for measles immunization and RI in general.
- Monitor and evaluate yellow fever campaign communication/social mobilization/demand generation plans/community engagement implementation activities regularly, undertake field visits and identify problems and propose remedial action, identifying alternative courses of action to accelerate/improve service delivery.
- Participate in the preparation of all programme reports required by the State and share information regularly with the C4D focal persons at NCO and Field Office level.
- Work with the assigned states to produce a mitigation plan and strategy in preparedness for 2019 yellow fever outbreaks.
- Undertake other tasks related to communication that might be required by the Chief of C4D Section.
Qualifications or Specialized Knowledge/Experience Required
- Bachelor’s Degree or HND in Social Sciences or related technical field preferably in Communication / Media / Public Relations
- At least Three (3) years progressively responsible professional work experience at state and national levels in programme planning, management, monitoring and evaluation in Immunization Programmes. Experience in social mobilization and communication for immunization programme, training IEC materials development, negotiation skills and team building is highly desirable
- Ability to conceptualise ideas clearly and concisely in written and oral form, innovate, plan and execute ideas
- Fluency in English is desirable. Knowledge of local working language of the duty station an asset.
Basic Competencies include:
- Current knowledge of development issues, strategies as well as programming policies and procedures in international development cooperation
- Proven ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as to impart knowledge and teach skills
- Communication skills, to work closely with variety of partners, stakeholders and communities at large
- Managerial and supervisory skills
- Monitoring and supervisory skills
- Good analytical, negotiating, communication and advocacy skills
- Computer skills, including internet navigation and various office application
- Demonstration of ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the organization.
Application Closing Date
Sunday, 7th October, 2018 by 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (W. Central Africa Standard Time)
SEE MORE JOBS
- NDLEA Recruitment 2018/2019 Application Form Portal www.ndlea.gov.ng
- Unilorin Recruitment 2018/2019 Form | Apply Ongoing University of Ilorin Vacancies
- Federal Civil Service Commission Recruitment Portal www.fedcivilservice.gov.ng
- Nigerian Prisons Service Recruitment 2018/2019 Form Portal www.Prisons.gov.ng
- Nigeria Customs Recruitment 2018/2019 customs.gov.ng/jobs/joblistings.php
- First Bank Recruitment 2018/19 Form | 10 Vacant Positions Today
- Technology Distributions Limited 2018/2019 Latest Jobs | Apply Here
- Stresert Services Limited Recruitment 2018/2019 | Apply Here
- AB Microfinance Bank Recruitment 2018/2019 Form Portal www.ab-mfbnigeria.com
- Nigeria Top 100 Highest Paying Companies / Agencies [LIST]
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should apply online: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=516500
- Applicants should quote an all inclusive fee in their application
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advanced to the next stage of the selection process.