UNICEF Recruitment – Communication for Development Specialist
UNICEF Recruitment – Communication for Development Specialist. UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
Table of Contents
- 1 UNICEF Recruitment – Communication for Development Specialist
- 1.1 Organizational Context and Purpose for the Job
- 1.1.1 Job organizational Context
- 1.1.2 Purpose for the Job
- 1.1.3 Key Function, Accountabilities and Related Duties/Tasks
- 1.1.4 Implementation of C4D Activities:
- 1.1.5 Technical and Operational Support:
- 1.1.6 Advocacy, Networking and Partnership Building:
- 1.1.7 Innovation, Knowledge Management and Capacity building:
- 1.1.8 Impact of Results
- 1.2 Recruitment Qualifications
- 1.3 Application Closing Date
- 1.1 Organizational Context and Purpose for the Job
- 2 Method of Application
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Number: 516326
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Work Type: Fixed Term Staff
Organizational Context and Purpose for the Job
- The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does in programmes, in advocacy and in operations
- The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism
- To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life, in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society’s most disadvantaged citizens addressing inequity not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries
- This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Job organizational Context
- The Communication for Development Specialist GJP is to be used in small to medium size Country Offices (CO) reporting to the Deputy Representative, or in a large country office reporting to a higher-level C4D professional.
Purpose for the Job
- The Communication for Development Specialist reports to the Polio Manager for general guidance and supervision
- The Specialist provides technical and operational support for developing a systematic, planned and evidence-based strategy and process for C4D as an integral part of programme development, planning and implementation
- Through communication and engagement, as well as the empowerment and participation of stakeholders, communities, children, civil society partners, and government counterparts, s/he promotes measurable behavioral and social change/mobilization
- This subsequently contributes to the achievement of sustainable and concrete results in improving children’s rights, survival and well-being in the country.
Key Function, Accountabilities and Related Duties/Tasks
Support to Strategy Design and Development of C4D Activities:
- Conduct and/or participate in comprehensive C4D situation analysis of social, cultural, economic and political issues in the country/region, including through national/subnational working groups or committees. Assess/synthesize qualitative and quantitative information, data and evidence to support the establishment of comprehensive and evidence-based information for developing and planning the C4D component of the Country Programme of Cooperation (and UNDAF).
- Participate in country programme planning and reviews to contribute to discussions on the underlying and contextual issues to be addressed (e.g. policies, gender/children inequality, cultural/social behavior etc) to ensure the successful and sustainable delivery of programme results and provide technical recommendations on approaches, strategies and plans of action for C4D to promote behavioral and social change.
- Prepare or provide quality assurance on materials and related documentations for C4D strategies and plans (as a component of the CO and/or UNDAF Programmes) to ensure optimum impact, scale and sustainability of achievements/results.
- Collaborate/consult with a wide range of partners and stakeholders to ensure synergy, integration, coherence, and harmonization of C4D activities with UNICEF MTSP, CO global communications and advocacy activities and UN System development activities and initiatives at the CO level, including in humanitarian response
Implementation of C4D Activities:
- Collaborate with, advise and/or consult internal partners and external partners to design C4D strategies, including formulation, production and testing materials to organize C4D events and activities to ensure engagement and participation of key audiences, and maximum outreach and impact on behavioral and social change, including in humanitarian response.
- Confirm/verify the technical quality, consistency and relevancy of communications strategies, including materials that are developed, produced and disseminated to target audiences (e.g. individuals, communities, government officials, partners, media etc). Recommend appropriate multiple media formats (e.g. print, digital/social media, TV/Radio, Web, community networks, etc.). Oversee the production and implementation of multi-media initiatives for compliance with targets and plans that integrate the latest evidence.
- Carry out C4D advocacy activities with/for a wide range of constituents, stakeholders, partners, communities, etc. to encourage/promote engagement and dialogue, inclusion, self determination and participation in mobilizing social, political, behavioral and cultural change to achieve sustainable programme results on children and women’s rights, equity and wellbeing. Develop/select materials and other communication tools for C4D events. Identify, establish and maintain active interaction/relations with media, academia and
- other strategic partners to communicate/advocate UNICEF‘s competencies and achievements to ensure their engagement, interests and support in promoting social/political engagement for political action on childrens rights, and measurable changes in social and behavioral outcomes.
- Conduct and/or participate in M & E and Evaluation exercises, including country programme previews, meetings and mid-term/annual reviews to assess/report on efficacy/outcome of C4D on UNICEF and CO Strategic Plans/Goals. Recommend timely action to ensure the achievement of results as planned and allocated. Integrate/disseminate lessons learned in development planning and improvements.
Technical and Operational Support:
- Collaborate with internal CO, RO and/or RO colleagues to contribute to the development of strategies, approaches, policies and the planning of C4D social and resource mobilization initiatives in support of programmes/projects implementation and delivery of results, including humanitarian response.
- Participate in CO strategic discussions to collaborate on policy and agenda setting for C4D advocacy and investments and related external relations and resource mobilization initiatives.
- Participate in budget planning and management of programme funds and prepare financial plan for C4D initiatives. Monitor/track the use of resources as planned and verify compliance with organizational guidelines, rules and regulations and standards of ethics and transparency.
Advocacy, Networking and Partnership Building:
- Identify, build and maintain partnerships through networking and proactive collaboration with strategic partners, e.g. academia; social networks; celebrities, journalist, media, all sectors/levels of (socially aware) society and critical audience to reinforce cooperation and/or pursue opportunities for C4D advocacy to promote UNICEF mission and goals for child rights, social equity and inclusiveness.
- Collaborate with internal global/regional communication partners to harmonize, link and/or coordinate messaging and use of multiple media and communication platforms to enhance C4D outreach including in humanitarian contexts.
- Participate in organizational and/or inter-agency (UNCT; National UN Communication for Development Round-table) discussions and planning to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues in the UNDAF planning and preparation of C4D advocacy and resource mobilization initiatives including emergencies.
Innovation, Knowledge Management and Capacity building:
- Implement innovative practices, approaches and latest technology on multiple media and social/digital platforms and networks for C4D that are appropriate/available for the CO context and audience.
- Institutionalize/share best practices and knowledge learned/products with global/local partners and stakeholders to build capacity of practitioners, and disseminate these products to key audiences including donors and partners.
- Organize/implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders/partners (government and non-government) in C4D planning, implementation and evaluation in support of programmes/projects including in humanitarian settings.
Impact of Results
- The strategic and effective development and implementation of C4D advocacy initiatives and products directly impact on the ability of UNICEF to promote social, political and economic action and changes in behaviors, social attitudes, beliefs, harmful social norms and actions by communities, individuals and society on children’s rights, survival and wellbeing
- This in turn contributes to enhancing the ability of UNICEF to fulfill its mission to achieve sustainable, locally-owned and concrete results in improving the survival, development and wellbeing of children in the country.
- An Advanced University Degree in one of the following fields is required: Social and Behavioral Science, Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology, Education, Communication, Public Relations or another relevant technical field.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in one or more of the following areas is required: social development programme planning, communication for development, public advocacy or another related area
- Relevant experience in a UN system agency or organization is considered as an asset
- Experience working in a developing country is considered as an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
Application Closing Date
28th September, 2018 by 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (W. Central Africa Standard Time)
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should: apply online: https://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=516326
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
SEE MORE JOBS
- NDLEA Recruitment 2018/2019 Application Form Portal www.ndlea.gov.ng
- Unilorin Recruitment 2018/2019 Form | Apply Ongoing University of Ilorin Vacancies
- Federal Civil Service Commission Recruitment Portal www.fedcivilservice.gov.ng
- Nigerian Prisons Service Recruitment 2018/2019 Form Portal www.Prisons.gov.ng
- Nigeria Customs Recruitment 2018/2019 customs.gov.ng/jobs/joblistings.php
- First Bank Recruitment 2018/19 Form | 10 Vacant Positions Today
- Technology Distributions Limited 2018/2019 Latest Jobs | Apply Here
- Stresert Services Limited Recruitment 2018/2019 | Apply Here
- AB Microfinance Bank Recruitment 2018/2019 Form Portal www.ab-mfbnigeria.com
- Nigeria Top 100 Highest Paying Companies / Agencies [LIST]