The Latest | Suspect in University Killing Was Sex Offender
The Latest | Suspect in University Killing Was Sex Offender. This undated photo provided by the Utah Department of Corrections shows Melvin Rowland. Authorities say that Rowland, suspected of killing his ex-girlfriend, University of Utah student-athlete Lauren McCluskey, was found dead in an off-campus church early Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2018. (Utah Department of Corrections via AP).
LEARN HOW TO BOAST YOUR BUSINESS ONLINE
CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS
Table of Contents
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The Latest on a fatal shooting on the University of Utah campus (all times local):
Records show a man accused of killing a female University of Utah student on campus was a registered sex offender who spent nearly a decade in prison after pleading guilty to trying to lure an underage girl online.
Former prosecutor Paul Amann said Tuesday that 37-year-old Melvin Rowland was caught in an online sex crimes sting when a police officer posed as a 13-year-old girl, and after he was charged a woman reported he had sexually assaulted her after another online meeting.
Records show Rowland was released from prison in 2013 after spending nine years behind bars.
Police say he shot and killed 21-year-old student Lauren McCluskey late Monday. Her mother says she dumped him when she learned about his criminal history.
Authorities say Rowland later killed himself.
TRENDING JOB VACANCIES THIS WEEK!
- Npower 2018 Recruitment
- Nigerian Airforce 2018 Recruitment
- Nigerian Navy 2018 recruitment
- Nigerian Army 2018 Recruitment
- Nddc 2018 Recruitment
- MTN Nigeria 2018 Recruitment
- Nigerian Prisons 2018 Recruitment
- Nigerian immigration service 2018 Recruitment
- Nigeria Customs 2018 Recruitment
- Nigeria Police 2018 Recruitment
- DSS 2018 recruitment
- NAFDAC 2018 Recruitment
- INEC Recruitment 2018/2019 Application Registration Form
- Nestle Nigeria 2018 Recruitment
- Dangote 2018 Recruitment
- NDLEA Recruitment 2018/2019 Application Form Portal www.ndlea.gov.ng
- Unilorin Recruitment 2018/2019 Form | Apply Ongoing University of Ilorin Vacancies
- Federal Civil Service Commission Recruitment Portal www.fedcivilservice.gov.ng
- Nigerian Prisons Service Recruitment 2018/2019 Form Portal www.Prisons.gov.ng
- Nigeria Customs Recruitment 2018/2019 customs.gov.ng/jobs/joblistings.php
- First Bank Recruitment 2018/19 Form | 10 Vacant Positions Today
- Technology Distributions Limited 2018/2019 Latest Jobs | Apply Here
- Stresert Services Limited Recruitment 2018/2019 | Apply Here
- AB Microfinance Bank Recruitment 2018/2019 Form Portal www.ab-mfbnigeria.com
- Nigeria Top 100 Highest Paying Companies / Agencies [LIST]
The University of Utah police chief says a female student who was fatally shot on campus by a man she dated had filed a complaint against him earlier this month.
Chief Dale Brophy said Tuesday that Lauren McCluskey had filed a police report on Oct. 12 against Melvin Rowland.
Brophy said investigators had been working to build a case, but he declined to disclose details.
The victim’s mother, Jill McCluskey, says her daughter filed a harassment complaint after she broke up with Rowland.
Salt Lake City police say the 37-year-old Rowland killed himself overnight at a church after police tracked him down after the shooting.
Lauren McCluskey was a 21-year-old senior track athlete and communication major from Pullman, Washington. Her body was found in a car near a campus medical facility.
Jill McCluskey says in a statement that her daughter dated Rowland for about a month then ended the relationship on Oct. 9 when she learned he had lied about his age, name and criminal history.
University of Utah officials have identified a female student fatally shot on campus Monday night as a senior track athlete and communication major from Pullman, Washington.
Separate statements released by university President Ruth Watkins and Athletic Director Mark Harlan identified the victim as Lauren McCluskey and expressed sadness and shock over her killing.
Police said previously that Melvin Rowland, the man suspected of killing McCluskey and ex-boyfriend of hers, was found dead in an off-campus church early Tuesday.
Watkins said McCluskey was “a highly regard member of the university’s track and field team, and an outstanding scholar, a senior majoring in communication.”
The university canceled classes Tuesday and a campus vigil for McCluskey is scheduled at 5 p.m.
The man suspected of shooting and killing a University of Utah student has been found dead, KUTV reported.
Police tracked down the man, identified as Melvin Rowland, who authorities say shot a female student on campus just before 10 p.m. Monday. The student has not been identified.
Police followed Rowland into a church after he was spotted near 600 South 200 East in Salt Lake City at about 1 a.m. Tuesday, University of Utah Police Lt. Brian Wahlin told KUTV.
Wahlin said Rowland’s body was found in the church.
The University of Utah also tweeted that Rowland had been located and was “no longer a threat.”
The University of Utah says it has lifted the lockdown of the campus after a fatal shooting.
The university imposed the lockdown shortly before 10 p.m., after the body of a female student was found in a car near the medical towers.
Police continue to search for a man they say shot and killed the student. Police said the man is 37 years old, roughly 6 foot, 3 inches tall and weighs 250 pounds. He was last seen wearing a gray beanie, black pants, white shoes and a white hoodie.
Police are searching for a man they say shot and killed a University of Utah student outside of a dormitory on campus, the Salt Lake Tribune reports.
University of Utah Police Lt. Brian Wahlin says the female student’s body was found about 9 p.m. in a car near the medical towers, the Tribune reports. Wahlin says the man they are searching for and the student had “a previous relationship.”
Police said the man is 37 years old, roughly 6 foot, 3 inches tall and weighs 250 pounds. He was last seen wearing a gray beanie, black pants, white shoes and a white hoodie.
Wahlin says dozens of police officers on campus had the situation under control, the Tribune reports.
“We’ve got the campus secure at this point in time,” he told reporters shortly after 11 p.m.
The University of Utah campus is on lockdown after a shooting.
The university announced on its Twitter account that a shooting took place shortly before 10 p.m. It told people on the campus to shelter in place.
The university says police are looking for the suspect. The university described the suspect as a black man, 37 years old, 6-foot, 3 inches, 250 pounds, wearing a gray beanie, black pants, white shoes and a white hoodie. He was last seen on foot leaving north from the university’s medical towers.
Police are searching the campus for the suspect.
Last month, an ex-convict pleaded guilty to killing a University of Utah student from China using a gun stolen after another slaying. Austin Boutain, 24, was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
He and his wife were charged with hatching a carjacking plot that led to the October 2017 death of Chenwei Guo, whose parents live in Beijing and were devastated over the death of their only son at age 23.
- Shell Undergraduate 2017/2018 Scholarship Awards
- Shell (SPDC) Joint Venture University Scholarship Scheme 2018
- Amandus H. Lundqvist Scholarship At Eindhoven University Of Technology – Netherlands 2019
- Study In USA | Cornish College Academic Scholarship Program – Australia 2018
- Study In UK | Gates Cambridge International Scholarship
- Faculty Of Health & Social Sciences Executive Dean’s Scholarship – UK 2019
- King’s College London International Medicine Scholarship [Degree Program]
- Study In UK 2019: Apply SOAS International Excellence Scholarship
- IPOET Scholarship 2018 At Chalmers University Of Technology, Sweden
- Guinness Nigeria Undergraduate Scholarship Scheme 2018
- Apply For 2019 WAAW Foundation Stem Scholarship
- Dora Plus Scholarship At Tallinn University – Estonia 2019
- University Entrance Scholarship At Concordia University Of Edmonton – Canada 2019
- Health Dean’s Scholarship At University Of Technology Sydney – Australia 2019
- Cultural Sustainability Scholarship At University Of Maiduguri – Nigeria 2019
- International Engineering Scholarship At University Of Huddersfield – UK 2019
- Alexander Leith Bagpipe & Drum Scholarship At University Of Otago – New Zealand 2019
- Study In UK | University Of Dundee 2019 Alumni Scholarship
- EY Scholarship At University Of Oxford – UK 2018
- Pathway Scholarship At Edith Cowan College | International Students – Australia 2019
- Pathway Scholarship At Edith Cowan College | International Students – Australia 2019
- Women Scholarship At Sydney Business School | University Of Wollongong – Australia 2019
- Sports & Arts 2019 Diploma Scholarship At Singapore Polytechnic
Kindly rebroadcast using the SHARE buttons below to inform others please