Project Officer Job at British High Commission
Project Officer Job at British High Commission. The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability.
Table of Contents
We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
We are recruiting to fill the vacant position below:
Job Title: Project Officer
Ref No: 17/18 LOS
Job Category: Other British Government Departments (Partners across Government, including UK Visas)
Job Subcategory: Immigration Enforcement International (formerly RALON)
Grade: B3 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 8 months
Start Date: 1st October, 2018
Main Purpose of Job
- The main purpose of the role is to lead on the delivery of a major construction project for Her Majesty’s Government (HMG) in Lagos. The successful applicant will work closely with the selected construction firm to ensure that the programme meets its objective of providing a suitable prison wing for the Nigerian prison service.
- The post holder will lead on programme management, oversight and coordinating this work with HMG and external partners.
- In addition, there is a requirement to support the Ikaaba Ile project focussing on the meeting and greeting of returnees disembarking from charter flights at Lagos airport.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Liaising with Nigerian Prison Service, contractors and FCO Services to monitor the progress of the construction against plans.
- To identify and report to Conflict Stablity and Security Fund (CSSF) / Migration Returns Fund (MRF) teams, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service (HMPPS) and Home Office any actual or potential blockages, delays or issues and to take all necessary remedial or mitigating actions.
- Ensure contractors are paid on time and that the movements of monies are accurately reported within given timescales and on the appropriate platforms.
- Monitoring the financial compliance of the project against spending projections and reporting any variation outside of tolerances early along with making plans for contingency.
- Conduct (at least) monthly review meetings with the contractor and prison service to review progress on the programme.
- Ensure due diligence measures are put in place which are appropriate, robust and proportionate. This will include an inspections regime for the site.
- Provide HMG organisations (Home Office, HMPPS, FCO CSSF,MRF, relevant British High Commission Abuja) colleagues with monthly progress reports, including:
- Collating and quality assuring data submitted by delivery partners;
- Ensuring project deliverables are meeting requirements and providing value for money;
- Verification visits to assess progress on specific activities;
- Gathering additional information from wider stakeholders to inform reports;
- Highlighting risks and possible mitigating actions.
- Conduct quarterly reviews of the programme to required standards.
- Coordinate and represent the programme at the Local Strategy Board.
- Support delivery partners to overcome obstacles to implementation, managing risks and escalating to the Senior Responsible Office, Local Strategy Board and / or CSSF/MRF where appropriate.
- Be the main contact point between the MRF/CSSF and delivery partners.
- Regular travel between Abuja and Lagos is likely to be required.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- PRINCE2 / AGILE or comparable project management qualification
- Project management experience, ideally construction related
- Previous experience of working on projects in Nigeria or West Africa
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Knowledge or previous experience of working with or for HMG and particularly to CSSF guidelines.
- Experience of managing a construction project in Nigeria
- PRISM experience
- Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering Value for Money, Delivering at Pace
- Starting monthly salary: N610,536
Other Benefits and Conditions of Employment:
- Conditioned working hours are 37 hours per week gross with TOIL (Time-off in Lieu) granted for hours worked in excess of this. Normal working hours are Mon-Thur 07:30 – 15:30 & 07:30 – 12:30 Friday, however regular evening and some weekend working will be required, with Time Off in Lieu given as necessary.
Application Closing Date
5th October, 2018.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
SEE OTHER JOBS AT BHC: