Nikon International Small World Contest 2020 – Photomicrographers
Nikon International Small World Contest 2020 – Photomicrographers. Entries are invited from anyone with an interest in photography through the microscope for the Nikon International Small World Contest 2020. The deadline for submission of entries is 30th April, 2020.
The Nikon International Small World Competition first began in 1975 as a means to recognize and applaud the efforts of those involved with photography through the light microscope. Since then, Small World has become a leading showcase for photomicrographers from the widest array of scientific disciplines.
A photomicrograph is a technical document that can be of great significance to science or industry. But a good photomicrograph is also an image whose structure, color, composition, and content is an object of beauty, open to several levels of comprehension and appreciation.
The Nikon Small World Competition is open to anyone with an interest in photography through the microscope. Truly international in scope, entries have been received from the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia, Latin America, Asia, and Africa. Winners have included both professionals and hobbyists.
Nikon International Small World Competition Eligibility.
- Open to anyone with an interest in photography through the microscope;
- Applicants may include both professionals and hobbyists;
- Anyone over the age of 18 is eligible, with the exception of employees of Nikon, their families, the contest judges, and individuals engaged in the manufacture or sale of microscopes, related accessories or photographic equipment;
- Former first prizewinners are ineligible to win first prize in the three contests immediately following the contest they won, but can win other prizes;
- Any image that has won any other photomicrography competition is not eligible;
- Photomicrographs must be taken using a light microscope, such as one of the Nikon series of microscopes. All types of light microscopy and specimens are acceptable. Electron and any other microscopes that do not capture imagery using optical light technology are not permitted;
- Macro Photography is not permitted;
- The use of Nikon equipment is not required;
- No purchase is necessary to enter or win.
Top 20 prize winners are selected and ranked by Small World Judges.
- 1st Prize – $3,000
- 2nd Prize – $2,000
- 3rd Prize – $1,000
- 4th Prize – $800
- 5th Prize – $600
- 6th Prize – $400
- 7th-10th Prizes – $300 each
- 11th-20th Prizes – $200 each
- Honorable Mentions – $100 each
- Images of Distinction – Nikon Backpack (or equivalent)
- Prizes for top 3 winners are paid by check in US funds and other prizes are paid by Visa gift card also in US funds. Winners responsible for all applicable taxes.
Entries will be judged on:
- Informational Content
- Technical Proficiency
- Artistic and Visual Impact
How to Submit Entries for the Nikon International Small World Competition.
- Images must be submitted as follows:
- Digitally: Uploading to the Small World Competition entry area here. Images must be in jpeg, png, psd, or tiff format and videos in flv, mp4, mpg, wmv, avi, mov format. (Please submit the highest quality image with regard to file size, bit depth, and resolution.)
- For images on film, a 35mm mounted transparency will be accepted. Glass mounts are not accepted.
- Small World in Motion entries are further limited to:
- Movie length of no more than 60 seconds
- The use of sound is not permitted
- It is not permitted to add graphics of any kind
If interested, kindly Register Here https://nikonsmallworld.magnet.fsu.edu/account/register/