Nigerian Newspaper Headline today: 10 Things to Know This Thursday Morning
1. A three-man panel of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal in Abuja on Wednesday granted presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar access to all materials used in the presidential elections. The decision was made after the panel heard the ex-parte motion filed by Atiku Abubakar, seeking an order granting them access to inspect the electoral materials used for the February 23 polls.
2. A 25-year-old boy, Tukur Aliyu, an indigene of Argungu Local Government Area of Kebbi State has commenced trekking from Birnin-Kebbi to Abuja, to celebrate the victory of President Muhammadu Buhari in the last presidential election. Aliyu told newsmen shortly before he left Birnin Kebbi to Abuja that he vowed to trek to Abuja if APC won or lost in the presidential election.
3. The Governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Lagos State, Jimi Agbaje, has said he has not stepped down for anybody as widely speculated.
Agbaje said in a statement, on Wednesday, by his Director of Media and Publicity, Felix Oboagwina that he is still very much in the race. He also described the recent endorsement of the candidate of the Action Democratic Party (ADP) by the Coalition of United Political Parties (CUPP) as blackmail.
4. No fewer than 45 persons have been reportedly killed by suspected bandits in Kware village of Shinkafi Local Government Area of Zamfara State about two days ago. Report claims that more than 4,000 people were seen trooping into Gusau, the state capital; seeking protection after the bloody attack.
5. No fewer than 36 political parties have declared support for the reelection bid of Governor Samuel Ortom in Saturday’s Governorship and House of Assembly elections.
The political parties under the auspices of Forum of Registered Political Parties, Benue State Chapter, spoke through the forum’s chairman, Mr. Godwin Odeh during a courtesy call on the Governor at the Benue Peoples House, Makurdi.
6. The Rivers State Police Command has cautioned the Rivers state Government against making unverifiable claims as the Governorship election draws near. Commissioner of Police, CP, Usman Belel said the Press Statement Signed by the Special Adviser to Governor Nyesom Wike on Electronic Media, Simeon Nwakaudu on the planned kidnap of the Resident Electoral Commissioner and subsequent postponement of the Gubernatorial and House of Assembly Elections Scheduled to hold on Saturday is unfounded, baseless and malicious.
7. Following an explosion at the campaign ground of the All Progressives Congress, APC, at four lanes Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, about three people have been reportedly injured. The incident, it was gathered, occurred at about 7:30pm when gunmen arrived at the scene in a car, threw explosives before opening fire on unsuspecting public identified as members and supporters of the APC.
8. The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Lagos State has said supplementary elections will hold in six federal constituencies of the state on Saturday, alongside the governorship and state house of assembly elections. The state Resident Electoral Commissioner of INEC disclosed this at a news conference on the Gubernatorial, State House of Assembly and National Assembly supplementary elections on Wednesday.
8. A Federal High Court sitting in Jalingo has disqualified the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC,in Taraba State, Sani Danladi. According to Channels, Danladi was disqualified from participating in the election on Saturday over an improper declaration of age.
9. The All Progressives Congress in Rivers State has adopted a candidate from another political party ahead of Saturday’s Governorship and State House of Assembly elections in the state. The leader of APC in the state, Rotimi Amaechi revealed this to the party in an ongoing town hall meeting in Aleto community in Eleme Local Government Area of the state by asking, “all APC faithful to vote for the Governorship candidate of African Action Congress in the Saturday’s election while the party pursues its matter in court.’’
10. Manchester United are through to the last eight of the Champions League, following their 3-1 win over Paris Saint-Germain at the Parc des Princes on Wednesday night. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men were trailing 2-0 from the first leg at home and travelled to France without 11 senior players.