How to Apply Call for Code Global Challenge 20184 min read
Call for Code Global Challenge 2018. Call for Code Global Challenge is now accepting submissions from teams that can come up with a solution for natural disaster relief. Deadline for submission of application is August 31, 2018 at 11:59 PM PT.
Call for Code Global Challenge 2018.
For 2018, the Call for Code Global Challenge asks developers to create solutions that significantly improve preparedness for natural disasters and relief when they hit. This competition is the first of its kind at this scale, encouraging developers who want to pay their skills forward for a specific mission to alleviate human suffering.
The initiative has the support from a cross-section of experts, humanitarian and international organizations, including the United Nations Human Rights Office and the American Red Cross’ International team who will benefit from the inaugural Call for Code Global Prize Event & Concert being held on October 13th, United Nations International Day for Disaster Reduction.
Call for Code Global Challenge scope.
Build applications that improve disaster preparedness and build resilient communities.
Call for Code Charitable Partners have identified priorities and goals for reducing the impact on human life resulting from natural disasters. These strategies and frameworks highlight the areas where improvements should be made and can be accelerated by technology.
- UNISDR Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction
- UNDP 2030 Sustainable Development Goals
- Red Cross Strategy 2020
The team that wins the Call for Code Global Award will have built a creative application that can be deployed effectively and easily around the world. Some potential solutions include:
- Alerting pharmacies to increase their stocks of antibiotics, insulin, bottled water, and vaccines based on predicted weather-related disruptions.
- Employing analytics to predict the impact of weather and educate communities on how to prepare for an impending disaster.
- Using visual recognition to assess the impact of a seismic event and speed claims processing, reducing time to build back better.
- Improving the efficiency, accountability, and resiliency of supply chains through blockchain technology.
- Identifying and aiding people with reduced or restricted mobility who require special assistance (disabled, hospitalized, elderly, confined).
Call for Code Global Challenge Rules.
- All submissions must be deployed and run on the IBM Cloud.
- All submissions must make use of at least 5 IBM cloud services. Use of sponsor or affiliate APIs is also encouraged.
- Teams of up to 5 participants are allowed. All team members must have completed the Participation Agreement to compete.
- A participant may not be part of multiple teams.
- Teams have full ownership of everything they build and are free to do with it as they wish whether they win or not.
- Winning teams will be subject to a code-review after submissions close on Aug 31.
- Overall rights of first refusal to invest in projects will be outlined in Participant Agreement.
Call for Code Global Challenge Key Dates.
- May 24, 2018
Pre-Registration opens using the contest platform powered by AngelHack. You’re welcome to begin getting comfortable with the selected technology – see below for more information.
- May through July
Satellite events will run around the world to echo and amplify the Call for Code Global Challenge. These events may have self-contained competitions, possibly focused on one of the 6 technology areas below, and developers who participate are encouraged to join the Call for Code Global Challenge.
- June 18
Coding begins. After agreeing to the Participation Agreement you’ll be invited into our Slack group to begin forming teams and learn more about the event. IBM developer advocates will be online as well to answer any questions you may have.
- August 31
All submissions must be submitted by August 31, 2018 at 11:59 PM PT.
- September 17
Semi-finalists will be selected to pitch to leaders from IBM, AngelHack, DCC, the United Nations Human Rights Office, the American Red Cross, as well as leaders from Call for Code Premier Sponsors.
- September 24
Semi-finalists will be virtual, and teams will have 3 minutes to pitch to the judges, with 2 minutes for judges to ask questions. This panel will then determine the 3 overall winning teams of the competition
- October 13
The Call for Code Global Prize winner will be announced at an event and benefit concert.
How to Apply Call for Code Global Challenge 2018.
- Developers can register now at through the link below
- Projects can be submitted by individuals, or teams of up to five people, between June 18, 2018 and Aug. 31, 2018.
- Thirty semi-finalists will be selected in September. A prominent jury, including some of the most iconic technologists in the world, will choose the winning solution from three finalists.
- The winner will be announced in October 2018 during a live-streamed concert and award event coordinated by David Clark Cause.