British Council in Nigeria Call for Visual Artists (Cash Award of 1.5 Million Naira)
British Council in Nigeria Call for Visual Artists (Cash Award of 1.5 Million Naira) – British Council in Nigeria is now accepting entries from emerging visual artists to create a new piece of visual art. Winning artist will receive a cash award of 1.5 Million Naira. The deadline for submission of entries is 5th December, 2018
British Council in Nigeria Call for Visual Artists.
The British Council in Nigeria invites applications from emerging visual artists to create a new piece of visual art* to be displayed in our office in Ikoyi Lagos. The work will be displayed in the reception area of the British Council credited to the artist. The wall on which the artwork will be displayed has the dimensions: Height – 4.92metres, Width- 6.71 metres)
*Visual art in this context will mean any two-dimensional artwork including drawings, paintings (in any medium) and photographs.
One winning artist will be commissioned to create a piece of art and receive a cash award of 1.5 Million Naira.
To qualify, artists will be:
1. Emerging visual artists who have never had a solo exhibition.
2. Likely aged 18 – 35 although artists outside this age range who meet criteria one above will also be considered.
3. Available to create an original piece of work by end of December 2018
To be considered for the commission, artists should send in one pdf document here containing the following:
- 5 to 10 images of their previous work.
- A 500-word description of the work they are proposing to create in response to the theme – *Cultural Relations in a Fractured World*. The description should include their artistic response to the theme and details of the work itself including title, technique, proposed size of the work.
- A one-page CV showing their experience and training to date and including two references one of whom must be a professional in the arts sector, for example, art tutor in a recognised arts training institution, gallerist or curator.
Deadline for submission – 05 December 2018.
- Shortlisted artists will be invited to a face to face pitch in December 2018.
- The commissioned work will need to be completed by early January 2019
- The winning artist and five runners-up will be hosted to a reception at the British Council in January 2018 where they will have the opportunity to show their work through a digital exhibition.
- The winning artist and five runners-up will also have their work promoted on British Council’s social media platforms in March 2019.
Application is free.
Unfortunately, we are only able to respond to shortlisted candidates. If you do not hear back from us by 15 December 2018, please assume that your application has been unsuccessful at this time.